In recent times, medical technology is increasingly playing a more important role in a hospital. Innovations in the field, technological advances, increasing awareness among patients, greater dependence of clinicians on medical technology and competition among hospitals are some of the key reasons for medical equipment being one of the crucial aspects of a hospital.
The capital cost towards procuring medical equipment for an up-coming hospital constitutes anywhere between 25-40% of the total fixed asset cost. Given the significant capital cost, medical equipment form an important part of a hospital’s fixed asset inventory
Medical Equipment Procurement Process
The medical equipment planning and procurement in a hospital is one process that needs to be well thought through. The medical equipment procurement process starts with enlisting the medical equipment (department-wise) and continues till successful commissioning of the asset.
Typically, in green-field hospital project, medical equipment planning and procurement should come under the purview of a hospital consultant. A professional and well experienced hospital consultant will relieve the Client of the below mentioned indispensable responsibilities.
- Ensure comprehensive listing of medical equipment in each department with the required quantities
- Select apt medical technology in concurrence with the nature of the hospital, clinical specialties and services offered, demand and need statistics in the neighbourhood and the project budget
- Plan timelines for each category of equipment based on the overall project timelines
- Outline technical specifications for vendor RFPs / RFQs (Request for Proposal / Request for Quotation)
- Liaison with all medical equipment vendors at different stages of the project
- Ensure coincidence between architectural plans and equipment specifications
- Review vendor offers and short-list vendors and equipment models
- Ensure consensus with the core team of clinicians
- Negotiate pricing and purchase & maintenance terms with short-listed vendors
- Monitor the delivery, installation and training process
- Ensure timely completion and adherence to statutory regulations
Assigning a hospital consulting company for the medical equipment planning and procurement has the following advantages.
- Thorough understanding of the subject
- Greater expertise and experience
- Ability to handle high quantum of work to ensure timely delivery
- Knowledge on the extensive range of medical equipment
- Established vender and equipment database
- Ability to conduct meaningful discussions with clinicians
- Understanding of current market rates and terms
- Professional approach
It is, therefore, advisable to take guidance and assistance from a healthcare consultant to conduct the medical equipment planning and procurement process. This will not only result in a more streamlined process but will also help save cost because of better industry knowledge of the consultant.